Program coordinator (part-time)
Start date: as soon as possible
Commitment: Around 29 hours / week
Hours: Monday to Thursday 10:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and Saturday 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
About Ahead Reading
Since 1991, Read Ahead has connected students in public elementary schools with caring mentors from leading business and community partners. During the weekly Read Ahead sessions, our volunteer mentors form meaningful relationships with their mentees and help children develop their literacy skills, confidence, love of reading and other skills essential to success. Over 98% of teachers would recommend Read Ahead to a colleague, and our program impacts the lives of over 750 children every year.
The need for Read Ahead is particularly urgent in the wake of COVID-19. To face this moment, Read Ahead has developed a fully virtual program in 2020. Combining our 30 years of experience with new technology platforms and a program designed by educators, Read Ahead continues to match children with supportive mentors. for fun, bonding live program sessions. , confidence, literacy skills, and more. Our program remains fully virtual for the 2021-22 school year, but we plan to switch to a hybrid model in the future.
With the development of our new virtual program and commitments against racism and oppression (https://readahead.org/anti-oppression-commitments-oct2020/), Read Ahead has the opportunity to deepen our impact on students. We are committed to continuous improvement as an organization and look forward to taking bold new steps to create better outcomes for the students, families and schools we serve.
Read Ahead expects every staff member to be an active and engaged contributor to Read Ahead’s organization-wide efforts to advance DEIB’s goals, including, but not limited to, participating in team meetings and ensuring that all project plans and results are aligned with DEIB’s objectives.
Read Ahead’s commitments against racism and oppression are outlined here.
Read Ahead provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetics or veteran status. We seek to build a diverse workforce representative of the communities we serve. All qualified applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.
Expectations for remote and in-person work
Read Ahead continues to closely monitor health and safety guidelines in New York City. Currently, the role of the Program Coordinator is predominantly remote with some in-person expectations. Expectations for remote work versus in-person work may be adjusted as health and safety guidelines change.
We are in partnership with nine New York public elementary schools. Our program is currently running virtually, but most participants log in from school or extracurricular sites, and we expect staff members to make periodic visits to school sites during the school year. For the program coordinator, the necessary in-person visits will include meetings with school or extracurricular staff and support during certain sessions of the program. Periodic additional in-person work may include other meetings with stakeholders deemed necessary for the success of the program and / or support for organization-wide events.
Read Ahead has an office located at 50 Broad Street. We are preparing to reopen our offices in January as an optional resource for staff members, but have no office work requirement at this time and are currently conducting our team meetings remotely. Staff will be notified in advance of any changes to these policies.
As of September 27, 2021, all New York City Department of Education employees, contractors, and visitors are required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination before entering a school building. In addition, the city recently announced new vaccination requirements for workplaces. Read Ahead is finalizing our own COVID vaccination and safety policy – which will be aligned with current school guidelines and in line with city requirements – and plans to implement it in January.
As a member of a dynamic and dedicated program team, the Program Coordinator (part-time) is responsible for the management of Read Ahead in the school or program assigned to him. They act as Read Ahead ambassadors and engage regularly with mentees, parents and guardians, volunteer mentors and school staff. The program coordinator (part-time) is responsible for ensuring that the program runs smoothly, that mentors and mentees are supported throughout their mentoring experience and that program goals are met. The Program Coordinator (part-time) is responsible for critical administrative and logistical tasks, including planning, attendance tracking and database entry.
As part of a dynamic and evolving program team, the Program Coordinator (part-time) will support the development of an enhanced literacy program that engages students, caregivers, schools and teachers even more deeply. mentors. As we focus on deepening the impact of our literacy engagement with students, Read Ahead may extend its current program offerings beyond our current volunteer model. Program Coordinators (part-time) will participate in initiatives that will further deepen the impact of Read Ahead’s unique approach of using literacy as a vehicle for social change.
The program coordinators (part-time) work approximately 29 hours per week (specific schedule to be confirmed during a discussion with the manager and will be based on the needs of the school and the program). Occasional meetings, training sessions or other events may also take place outside normal hours.
The ideal candidate is a flexible and proactive problem solver with excellent relationship building (especially with families), organizational and communication skills. The role is ideal for someone who understands the New York public school system and the communities we serve. This is a great opportunity for someone who is passionate about kids, mentoring, reading and / or volunteering. Experience in the use of technology and a comfort and interest in learning new technologies is a plus. A satisfactory criminal background check and DOE fingerprinting are required.
Program facilitation (subject to change depending on program models)
- Facilitate, coordinate and monitor 10-15 weekly Zoom Ahead Reading sessions with up to 25 participants
- Communicate effectively and regularly with key stakeholders including parents / guardians, volunteer mentors, and teachers / school staff
- Manage program technology and provide assistance to participants (i.e. Zoom and online reading platforms)
- Manage and support ~ 150 volunteer mentors, including ongoing communication
- Support ~ 100 Grades 1-5 mentees in their mentorship experience
- Provide ongoing support to mentors and mentees, including formal recordings
Program quality management (subject to change)
- Carry out tasks that ensure a high quality program, including data tracking, support the training of mentors
- Review and approve mentor applications and support mentors throughout the onboarding process
- Collaborate on the content and possibly the delivery of mentor training
- Support the creation of session material for the programs, as well as support program development, enhancements and redesigns by the program team
- Work with school staff and families to share information about the 2021-2022 program and encourage student enrollment, including communicating with school administration and school liaison officers, answering questions from caregivers, helping to fill out authorization forms
- Collaborate on a summer staff-led RA program pilot project with students and / or lead or collaborate in the continuation of a mentor-mentee program
- Support and execute new family engagement initiatives to build relationships with families
- Support all other initiatives that promote greater parental and caregiver engagement, as determined by the Senior Director, Program and Impact
- Enter and track program data in Read Ahead’s database in a timely manner with attention to detail / precision
- Coordinate scheduling and mentor and mentee reminders for your program sessions
- Actively participate in team meetings, learning initiatives and professional development
- Ensure the inclusion of DEIB initiatives in the onboarding, training and ongoing management of mentors
- Support all key DEIB initiatives and new team building practices
- Passion for Read Ahead’s mission
- Demonstrated understanding of the link between literacy, child development and social justice
- A demonstrated commitment to an anti-racist lens and fairness in their work and communications (internal and external)
- Experience working with children and their parents / guardians, and a positive and growth-oriented approach to supporting children
- Experience or strong interest in volunteer management
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to effectively manage time and deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with technology and openness to learning and using new tools (e.g. email, video conferencing, cloud file management, and project management tools)
- High level of attention to detail
- Team player and contributor
- Ability to work and adapt in a rapidly changing environment
- Interest in working remotely with the ability to remotely lead and monitor daily mentoring sessions
Summary of compensation and benefits
Pay rate: $ 25 / hour
Paid time off (PTO) and benefits
- All federal holidays
- Wednesday – Friday of Thanksgiving week
- Christmas Eve – New Year’s Day
- Sick days
- Accumulated vacation days
- 403 (b) with up to 3% match per Read Ahead for all employees who are employed on the last day of the calendar year (e.g. 12/31/2022)
- Professional development / well-being allowance
How to register
How to register:
Submit a resume and cover letter to Evelyn Canela at www.readahead.org/apply. In your cover letter, state why you are interested in working for Read Ahead and why the role of Program Coordinator is right for you.
The job expires in 28 days.